I try to stay away from the sweet stuff, but let's face it, everyone needs a little treat now and then! That is why I created this cake. I was looking for something not too sweet but still a treat.
The combination of apple and raspberry is classic. I remember my mom making lots of apple raspberry pies and crumbles when I was little so I decided to experiment with it in a cake.
This cakes is dense and moist, more like a brownie, with a rich texture. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as Eric and I do.
Apple Sauce Raspberry Cake
- 1 1/4 cup sugar free apple sauce (I used home made applesauce with the apple skins)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (cane sugar or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/8 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour blend (I used Pete's Gluten Free)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (chickpea flour can be used to make this cake nut free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbls ground chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 pint of fresh raspberries
- Heat oven to 350f.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the apple sauce, sugar, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla with a wooden spoon until combined.
- add in the flours, baking soda, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt. Mix gently until combined (Do NOT over-mix).
- Gently fold in half of the raspberries, reserving the other half for the top of the cake.
- Pour the mixture into a nine inch round cake pan and top with remaining raspberries, then straight into the oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
*Cake will be extremely moist! Don't worry, as long as the toothpick comes out clean it's done :)