Alltime Favourite Milk Alternatives
Last Thursday I had the pleasure of hosting a Dairy-Free workshop at our clinic. It was a fun filled evening complete with a demonstration of delicious home made almond milk, tasting of other home made dairy free milks as well as some of my favourite store bought dairy free alternatives, and did I mention prize giveaways!
If you missed it, not to worry, we will be offering this workshop again in the future, but in the meantime I'd like to share my 3 favourite dairy-free milk recipes. These are staples in our home. We may not have time to make them from scratch all the time, but you sure can taste the difference when we do!
There are plenty of benefits to making your own, almond, coconut or hemp milk at home such as...
- It will be free of gums, preservatives and other additives.
- Free of artificial sweeteners.
- You can control the sweetness by adding either dates or your favourite liquid sweeteners (maple syrup, agave, or honey) or make it completely unsweetened.
- It will taste much fresher and is often creamier.
- Make your own flavoured milk by adding cocoa powder, cacao nibs, or cinnamon etc.
- Adjust the creaminess by using a bit less filtered water in the recipe
- Experiment for yourself and see what you come up with!
Use the following recipes as a guide!
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- Pour water into a high speed blender, then add coconut flakes.
- Secure blender lid and slowly increase the speed, and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a well sealed bottle or jar.
- Serve chilled.
- Keeps for up to 5 days. Shake well before serving.
*Strain through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth for a smoother drink, if desired.
- 1 cup raw almonds soaked
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1.5 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Soak almonds overnight in cool water or for 1-2 hours in boiling water.
- Add almonds, and remaining ingredients to a high speed blender, blend until smooth. (at least 2-3 minutes)
- Lay a nut milk bag, over a large bowl, pour the blender contents into the bag.
- Secure the bag top and squeeze well until all the liquid is squeezed into the bowl. (save the pulp in your freezer to add to smoothies or baked goods.
- Transfer milk to a well sealed jar or bottle and refrigerate. Keeps for about 5 days.
- Shake well before serving as it can separate.
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 3.5 cups filtered water
- 1-2 small pitted dates (omit for unsweetened)
- 1 tsp vanilla (omit for plain)
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
*2-3 tbls dairy free dark cocoa or raw cacao powder (to make chocolate hemp milk if desired)
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend on high 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer to a well sealed bottle or jar and refrigerate up to 10 days.